12 September 2011
Corporate Green Journey begins with
Hong Kong’s first CarbonCare® Labels
Climate care actions by local organizations and corporations will now be recognized and verified by Hong Kong’s first CarbonCare® labeling system launched today by local integrated carbon solution provider Carbon Care Asia (CCA). Developed in accordance with the best international guidelines and practices, this is a labeling scheme flexible and rigorous enough to enable gradual and continuous achievement starting from a minimum 5% reduction through carbon reduction efforts and verified carbon offsets.
The CarbonCare® Label Scheme, which can be applied worldwide, is also designed to be extendable and comprehensive. It encourages organizations and corporations of various sectors and nature to implement concrete carbon care actions widely across their daily operations, events, products and services by going through the essential process of measuring, reducing and offsetting their carbon footprints.
Under this new CarbonCare® Label scheme, five green labels are offered for different emissions reduction levels --- from 5% to 99% -- through a combination of reduction measures and /or offsets against a defined base year; in addition to a CarbonCare® Champion gold label for 100% carbon neutral status. Seven companies are among the first awardees of the Label. These holders of CarbonCare Label include corporations from international hotel and hospitality, sea freight, and local public entertainment and waste management businesses.
At the launch ceremony joined by scores of business and community leaders today, officiating guest and keynote speaker Mr Bernard Chan, GBS, JP, Chairman of the Council for Sustainable Development, said, “Climate change is one of the most pressing issues facing our planet. Extreme weather events like heat waves, flooding and drought have become more frequent and widespread. Climate change is already hitting us and transforming the way we live. We must all respond to its challenges as responsible members of the local and global community. According to the latest statistics in 2008, some 90% of the electricity consumed in Hong Kong is used at buildings. Generating this electricity accounts for around 60% of our greenhouse gases emissions. It is essential that we use electricity wisely and efficiently, not just to reduce greenhouse gases emissions, but also because it makes sound financial sense.” The launch was a prompt response in the wake of the Council’s recent public engagement exercise seeking community consensus and support for energy saving and carbon emission reduction in buildings to help combat climate change.
CCA Chairman Mr Chong Chan Yau welcomed such demonstrative and inspiring carbon care initiatives, “CarbonCare® Labels set sail a corporation’s green journey to embrace new carbon care values as a response to climate change mitigation, and pursue best business practices in sustainability. We are encouraged by the support of numerous visionary leaders from business corporations and non-profit organizations who want to demonstrate their commitments to taking bigger steps in carbon reduction. We believe that CarbonCare Labels add a valuable facilitation to carbon leadership in Hong Kong and beyond. ”
Dr Trini Leung, CCA Executive Director, said, “By integrating visible and tangible carbon reduction programmes with business activities, production processes, and products and services, label scheme participants are promoting wider carbon awareness amongst their stakeholders, customers, employees and the public at large.”
CCA’s CarbonCare® Label scheme is based on its CarbonCare® Label Protocol, which incorporates the best international guidelines and practices in the areas of measuring and monitoring GHG emissions, i.e. the GHG Protocol, ISO14064-1 and PAS2060. “This Protocol aims to provide a credible, visible and practical framework for CarbonCare® Labels. CarbonCare® Label Certificates will be issued to applicants upon compliance verification by CCA or its approved verifiers. Launched in Hong Kong, the unique CarbonCare® Label is a valuable offering addressing market needs and is expected to win international recognition and support,” Dr Trini Leung explained.
Founded a few years ago by top sustainability experts with a strong knowledge in global sustainability trends and carbon reduction solutions, CCA has been promoting and helping numerous organizations and corporations in Hong Kong and other parts of Asia to undertake tangible carbon care actions in response to the pressing call for mitigating the climate change crisis. To help clients achieve carbon neutral status for their events or operations, CCA also offers a variety of carbon offsets sourced from internationally accredited projects of the highest standards and strong local sustainability benefits in China, ranging from a forestation project in Sichuan, a hydropower project in Yunnan and a wind farm in Ningxia.
- Officiating guest and keynote speaker at the CarbonCare® Label launch ceremony Mr Bernard Chan, GBS, JP, Chairman of the Council for Sustainable Development, called for responsible and concerted action in taking up the challenges of climate change, which are already hitting the world and transforming the way people live.
- A toast from Mr Chong Chan Yau, Chairman of Carbon Care Asia (CCA), after the CarbonCare® Label scheme was kicked off by Mr Bernard Chan and CCA directors.
- The first batch of CarbonCare® Label awardees, hailed for their pioneering efforts or commitment in carbon reduction and offsets, pictured with Mr Bernard Chan and CCA directors after the label presentation.
- Nearly 100 business and community leaders from various sectors including international brands, financial, trading, supply chain, hospitality, entertainment, professional services, logistics and non-profit organizations, attended the CarbonCare® Label launch ceremony held on Sept 12.
- Welcoming address by Mr Chong Chan Yau, Chairman of Carbon Care Asia (CCA).
- Mr. Lo Yiu Chuen, Chairman of On Kee (HK) Environmental Recycling Limited, received the CarbonCare® Label – Commitment award.
- Mr. Graham Tire, Executive Manager, Property Facilities Management, of the Hong Kong Jockey Club, received the CarbonCare® Label – Achievement l award and a Carbon Reduction Certificate.
- The Asia Insurance Company Ltd., represented by Mr. Philip Ho, Senior Vice President, Human Resources & Administration, was awarded the CarbonCare® Champion Label and the Carbon Neutral Certificate.
- Costa Crociere S.p.A – P.A.O., represented by Mr. Dario Rustico, Vice President, Sales and Marketing, was awarded the CarbonCare® Champion Label and the Carbon Neutral Certificate.
- Melco International Development Ltd., represented by Mr. Frank Tsui , Executive Director, was awarded the CarbonCare® Champion Label and the Carbon Neutral Certificate.
- Regal i-club Hotel, represented by Mr. Glen Farmer, General Manager, was awarded the CarbonCare® Champion Label and the Carbon Neutral Certificate.
- Secure Information Disposal Services Limited, represented by Mr. Harold Yip, Executive Director, was awarded the CarbonCare® Champion Label and the Carbon Neutral Certificate.
- CCA Chairman, Mr. Chong Chan Yau, presented a zero-emission Chinese traditional paper fan and a 20-tonne carbon offset certificate as souvenirs to officiating guest Mr. Bernard Chan, in recognition of his exemplary action in offsetting his annual personal carbon footprint.
- CCA Executive Director, Dr. Trini Leung, gave a presentation to introduce the CarbonCare® Labeling Scheme.
- CCA Chairman Mr Chong Chan Yau had a good chat with Ir Hubert Hui (middle), Cluster Co-ordinator and Chief Manager of Hospital Planning & Facility Management Division, New Territory East.
- CCA Director Ms Rosanna Wong (1st left), Chairman Chong Chan Yau (2nd right) pictured with Ms Angel Kwong (2nd left) and Mr Bill Mong (1st right), President and Executive Director of the Hong Kong Wedding Management Association, respectively.
- CCA Business Development Manager Mr Timothy Fong (2nd left) with Ms Mayling Chan (1st right), CEO of Friends of the Earth, and representatives from Fairtaste.
- CCA Chairman Mr Chong Chan Yau being interviewed by a reporter from Wen Wei Po Daily News.
List of CarbonCare® Label Awardees:
- CarbonCare® Label – Champions
- Asia Insurance Ltd
- Costa Crociere S.p.A. – P.A.O.
- Melco International Development Ltd
- Regal iClub Hotel
- Secure Information Disposal Services Limited
- CarbonCare® Label – Achievement
- The Hong Kong Jockey Club
- CarbonCare® Label – Commitment
- On Kee (HK) Environmental Recycling Ltd